Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A thought on the question of reality

    Why did carve my name into this old rocking chair? Perhaps to make this occasion more tangible, to immortalize the essence of this particular moment in my life. Whatever the reason, my initials will be eternally engraved in this chair, at a rustic coffee shop, in the hills of Virginia. The outdoor patio of this very establishment is a flawless setting for intellectual conversation and debate. Tables, and chairs, ashtrays, and good coffee. These are the only things needed to become a "post beat" poet, philosopher, and dare I say, scholar. For it is in this classic scene that I am distantly engaged in a conversation, on a subject that may, or may not be subjective: Reality.
   When discussing subjective reality, the parties involved usually take sides. Some will say reality is subjective, a matter of perception. Others will say it is objective, that there is a one true reality. We often find that such thoughts lead into a seemingly infinite cycle of conversation, that never seems to go anywhere. These thoughts of reality perplex the mind to a point of agreement between the debaters. This leads me to believe that the human mind is not designed to "debunk"  what reality actually is. We only have the capacity to be aware of it's potential existence. See what I did there? Essentially I said nothing, which is exactly the message I wish to express. No person could know the answer. Countless books have been  written on the subject. The only thing I'm certain of:

No one is getting out of here alive.    
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment